The Brother HL-2250DN is a laser printer with both a USB and an Ethernet interface. It understands PCL6, so I knew I could use it with my Ubuntu 10.10 box without too much troubles.
Here’s how to configure your computer to enjoy the Ethernet interface. One doesn’t buy a network printer to use USB, right?
First, one need to get the IP address of the printer. You could get it from your router, or you may just ask the printer. To print the settings of your printer, do the following:
- Switch on the printer;
- Wait till the printer is ready;
- Press “Go” three times in less than 2 seconds.
The IP address will be on the third page.
Now, on your Ubuntu box:
- Go to System / Administration / Printing;
- Click on the “Add” button;
- Select “LPD/LPR Host or Printer” on the left;
- On the right, enter the printer’s IP address;
- The name of the queue is “PCL_P1”;
- When asked for a driver, pick “Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.6 Simplified”.